-
November 23rd, 2006, 06:43 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I am curious to know if anyone here has used one of the 604 coaxials in a horn loaded enclosure like the A7 or any other enclosure that horn loads the woofer.
If so I would love to know how it sounds compared to the usual reflex alignments.
-
November 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
I did it with 604Es ages ago and once I found the right density padding to cover the inside of the flat horn panel and reflex tuning for corner loading, me and the owner was pleased with the results, but when I posted this in a similar thread either here or on the HE forum someone said don't waste the time trying it, so as always YMMV.
For sure it sounds resonant ('chesty' mids) if you just drop it in without fine tuning it.
GM
-
November 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
The first problem i see is the physical depth of the alnico 604's, i'm not sure there's enough space between the mounting baffle and rear panel of the cabinet.
I expect others will chime in with regard to improper flare rate and modulation effects.
FWIW, Stanal Sound DID load some of their short horn boxes with duplex's, but those were for PA/sound reinforcement not hifi.
Late model altec pro stuff included some duplex loaded horns, but the HF horn was lengthened to the extent that it's mouth was located on the same plane as the mouth of the LF horn.
Hopefully one of the board members with a little more technical savvy than i will explain this better than i have.
If you have A7 boxes and duplex drivers, give it a try. My guess is that at average listening levels, especially in a smaller room any undesireable effects will be pretty negligable.
Since i currently have a pair of boxless duplex's and A7 cabs, this post has given me a "wild hair" and i'm going to try this myself.
-
November 23rd, 2006, 07:24 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I don't have A7s but I would be willing to build a vented front horn like the A7 but specifically for the 604-8H MKII if there is a distinct sonic advantage for hifi use. Horn loaded 515Bs are one of my favorites so it seems logical that the added efficiency of horn loading the 604s woofer might prove worthwhile. Just trying to find out if it sounds as good as I am hoping it would.
-
November 23rd, 2006, 08:06 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
I tried 604's in A7's a long time back, I wasn't pleased with the results. I had better succes with a rear loaded horn, Jensen Imperial. Very loud,efficient, but the bass response graph looked like a roller coaster. But the dynamics were incredible.
Started a project to try the JBL rear loaded horn, prettty much have given up on that. The rear loaded horns have lots of phase problems inherent in the design.
Going instead for horn loaded subs. with a seperate driver for the lows most errors can be corrected in the xover.
-
November 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I am thinking of building a pair of Jensen Imperials. I bought the plans On the Decware site. Many there said not to use the 604 since there are better bass drivers avaliable. Then use a horn driver on the top for the HF.
Old guy if you get a chance email me please about your Imperial findings
Thanks:
[email protected]
-
November 23rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
The best place to put a 604 duplex especially the new one GPA makes would be model 18 cabinet.
No frills no fuss.
..........................................
-
November 24th, 2006, 03:19 AM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
Yes, you have to add a cap on the rear cover due to the driver's length, but if you're going to build from scratch, then you'll ideally want a larger conical front horn with a separate bass horn.
GM
-
November 24th, 2006, 03:38 AM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
The best place to put a 604 duplex especially the new one GPA makes would be model 18 cabinet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is it safe to assume the model 18 cabinet with exception to the orientation/location of the vent, is dimensionally the same as the model 17/620A cabinet?
Apologies for nurturing the off topic.
-
November 24th, 2006, 05:14 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Originally posted by Dylanl:
Many there said not to use the 604 since there are better bass drivers avaliable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, this has me confused. What is so bad about the LF driver of the 604? And what are the better bass drivers that are available? I don't remember seeing that there.
Dave
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks